When determining what door handles to buy, there are several factors to consider. Here are some steps to help you make an informed decision:
1. Determine the door handle type: There are various types of door handles, including lever handles, Mortice knobs, pull handles, and more. Consider the functionality, style, and convenience of each type to see which one suits your needs. Mortice Knobs are harder to grip for young children and older people which could influence your buying decision.
2. Measure the door thickness: Measure the thickness of your door, as it will impact the type of door handle you can install. Different door handles are designed to fit specific door thicknesses, so make sure to choose handles that are compatible with your door.
3. Consider the style and aesthetics: Door handles come in a wide range of styles, finishes, and designs. Think about the overall decor and style of your space and choose handles that complement the existing aesthetic. Common finishes include brass, chrome, nickel, and bronze, among others. Think about whether you want the door handle to be a contrasting colour to your door, or to blend in. If you want to make a statement, you may wish to opt for a light colour door, like white, and a dark colour door handle, like Matt Black or Urban Dark Bronze. Finishes like Urban Satin Copper offer a contrast and
4. Assess durability and quality: Look for door handles that are made of durable materials to ensure longevity. Handles made of solid metals like brass or stainless steel are often more robust and resistant to wear and tear. Check for warranties or guarantees provided by the manufacturer as a sign of quality.
5. Check for compatibility with door latch or lock: Ensure that the door handles you choose are compatible with the existing door latch or lock mechanism if you are not replacing these. Verify the size and configuration to ensure a proper fit.
6. Evaluate ergonomics and ease of use: Consider the ergonomics and ease of use of the door handle. Test out different handles to see how they feel in your hand and how easy they are to operate. This is especially important for individuals with specific accessibility needs. Mortice Knobs are harder to grip for young children and older people which could influence your buying decision.
7. Read customer reviews: Look for reviews or feedback from customers who have already purchased the door handles you are considering. This can provide insights into the quality, durability, and overall satisfaction of the product.
8. Set a budget: Determine your budget for door handles and consider the price range of the handles that meet your requirements. Door handles vary in price depending on what base material they are made from. Solid Brass door handles are a lot more costly than Zinc or Aluminium door handles.
By considering these factors, you can narrow down your options and select door handles that are both functional and aesthetically pleasing for your doors.